Saturday, March 28, 2009

10,000 Hours of Practice

Dr. Daniel Levitin has figure out that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert. That's 20 hours a week for ten years. I figure I only started writing seriously two years ago but I've spent far more than twenty hours many weeks and completed at least first drafts on three more projects in the last six months.

One of these was The Amazon Break-Through Novel Award. It had come and gone, and I was eliminated. Bummer. A few people I know made it to the next round, but I can take solace in the fact that it may have just been a bad synopsis and excerpt and not the book in general.

Speaking of synopses (plural for synopsises) I have been working on one for my rejected manuscript of "An Angel in the Family." I'm preparing it for a pitch with Deseret as we speak. Cross fingers. I've got a few more weeks to get it in and then the rest of this month to get the manuscripts squeaky clean before I sit before the great Editor and try to sell it face to face.

Lipstick Wars is still waning in cyberspace, on vacation from thought but not forgotten. If only I had more time or perhaps used the time I had more efficiently. Good things are in the future so I guess I'll just keep chipping away at that ten thousand hours and eventually I'll get there or at least enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know - even when we are experts we still have a lot to learn. Technically I'd be a piano expert a few times over - and I still feel as though I know nothing. :-) And, I have to say that expert or not you are a marvelous writer. So enjoy the journey :-D