Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Mid-Life Crisis

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm 48- over halfway done. Yuck. It is the first year I ever cried about my birthday. When I think back at when I was a child, it seems like just a blink ago. And if that is all the time I have left, there is no way I'm going to fit everything I want to do in.

Now you're probably going "Duh, Christine" but it was honestly the first time it hit me that our time here is so limited. Hey- isn't this thinking what causes that mid-life crisis syndrome? Ya-whoo! I can run off and go blow a wad of cash and blame it on dealing with the effects of my age.

Actually, I sort of did that with my friend yesterday. She picked me up in the morning and we went and had makeovers at Nordstroms (I bought a lot of products), went to lunch at P.F. Changs and ended the day with deluxe pedicures. I even have diamonds on my toes now.

But this morning I'm exhausted and have more to laundry to face than any living soul ever should. Even though the kids did a great job of filling the day with surprises, cards, flowers and hugs, there is construction paper, markers and wrapping paper strewn across each room. I guess my mid-life crisis is over and my normal-life crisis is back.

3 comments:

Rhea said...

I am 49 and I feel like I want to pack in all the great experiences I can. So that's what I'm doing. If it helps any, there are a LOT of us in the same boat.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Is it okay to say Happy Birthday? :) I'm glad you got to do some fun, pampering things with your friend -- but don't think of it as being halfway over! Think of it as, you're just getting started.

Alison Spring said...

If 50 is the new 40, then 48...well, you get the idea ;-)